Past Projects of East Greenbush Kiwanis Club.
The East Greenbush Kiwanis Club's many fundraisers and service activities include:
- Adopt-a-Highway: Planting daffodil bulbs on the island across from Fucillo Ford. We've also cleaned Miracle League Field.
- Toys for Tots: At our very first Installation Dinner, we collected toys for the Marine Corps Toys for Tots campaign.
- Meet the Coaches: Volunteers packed and served meals at a chicken barbecue for incoming athletes at Columbia High School.
- Flip for Ronald McDonald House: An ongoing project to collect aluminum flip tabs for the Ronald McDonald House in Albany.
- Adopt-a-Girl-Scout-Troop: A bowling event to help raise funds for a local Girl Scout Troop to attend camp.
- Cell Phones for Authors: An ongoing program to collect cell phones for a local teacher who recycles them and uses the funds for a children's author school visit.
- St. Jude's Ranch for Children Card Recycling Program: An ongoing project to collect greeting cards that are sent to St. Jude's Ranch for children. St. Jude's is a haven for abused and neglected children. The cards are remade and sold with all the profits being used for St. Jude's programs and expenses.
- Soldier care packages: We collect and mail boxes of candy, lip balm, sunblock, and other items to a soldier in Iraq.
- Bells of Life: An annual drive to raise funds for the Albany Medical Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). Bells are sold by club members, the Columbia High School Key Club and local businesses. In 2010 and 2011, we raised the most of any club in the Van Rensselaer Division--more than $1,000 both years.
- Fill-a-Bus Food Drive: Yearly event by the Transportation Department of the East Greenbush Central School District. Canned, boxed and other non-perishable foods are collected to feed local needy families.
- CoNSERNS-U holiday book drive: A yearly project to collect books to be used as holiday gifts for local needy children.
- Stars for Troops: Gettysburg Flagworks collects flags that are no longer in useable condition. The stars are cut out and placed with a poem in a small bag. These are then shipped to USOs, deployed troops and VAs for soldiers and veterans to know that they are appreciated and not forgotten.
- Health literature distribution: We've distributed free literature on heart health and childhood asthma at the East Greenbush Community Library and Winterfest.
- Officer Witko Fund Raiser: A one-time event in the wake of the tragic motorcycle accident of Officer Ed Witko.
- Food collection: We collect food for CoNSERNS-U and St. Paul's Center around Thanksgiving time.